Written by Green Mama
Still working on your gift giving? Here are a few ideas:
- It’s easy to forget that inside the stone façade of the Peabody Museum of Natural History is a fantastic shop with items for kids of all ages and adults as well. Check out the books and music, Fair Trade crafts, gifts to inspire budding naturalists, and more, and support this wonderful New Haven institution. Here’s a COUPON for 10% off your purchase: Open M–Sa, 10–4:45, Su, 12–4:45.
- In addition to shopping the many craft fairs this month, there is always Etsy.com. On a recent day, “handmade” and “children” in New Haven alone got 85 hits. If you find a vendor you like, you might be able to arrange a pickup or find out if they will be selling anywhere locally this month.
- Support a great cause and educate a youngster about caring for our planet with Symbolic Species Adoptions from World Wildlife Fund. For a $50 donation, receive a plush animal, adoption certificate, information card, and more. Choose from 100+ species. Many other gifts available, too.
The Gift of Art
- Looking for something special? Sign your child up for one of the two hour Weekend Workshops for Young People at Creative Arts Workshop (for ages 6+; $20, $18 for members). Also, six-week classes for kids of all ages are offered for the winter session beginning Jan. 14 (kids 2–5 attend with an adult; $68–$147; $61–$132 for members).
- Another option is the 4-week Creative Kids Pottery Wheel Class (ages 5+; $100) at The Clay Date in Woodbridge. Tuesdays 4:30–5:45.
The Gifts That Keep on Giving: Memberships! (Basic Family Membership for each is $100.)
- Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport. Reciprocity with zoos and aquariums nationwide.
- KidCity in Middletown. A great indoor exploratorium for kids 1–8 and their favorite grown-ups. Free or discounted admission to 200+ children’s museums around the country.
- Stamford Nature Center in Stamford. Indoor and outdoor fun and learning for kids of all ages.