Developmental Resources for Parents
Submitted by Alida Engel, CCC-SLP
CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR CHILD’S DEVELOPMENTAL PROGRESS? If you want information on evaluations and treatment, the Center for Speech and Learning, LLC in New Haven, CT has created a list of child development resources available to New Haven area parents. Use these resources to determine whether your concerns merit more attention. If you are aware of other resources we might add, please inform us!
Is your child on-track developmentally?
- Developmental Milestones from 2 months to 5 years. A checklist from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC): http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/index.html
- Milestones for Hearing and Language, provided by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA): http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/chart.htm
- How to determine if your child is late-blooming or has a language problem (ASHA): http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/LateBlooming.htm
- Fact Sheets and Web pages about many developmental concerns (CDC): http://cdc.gov/NCBDDD/actearly/facts.html
- Free parent resource kit about Child Development (CDC): http://cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/freematerials.html
- Stuttering checklist, from the Stuttering Foundation of America (SFA): http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=554
- Stuttering Questions for Parents (SFA): http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=99
Help talking with doctors and educators
- Tips on how to express your concerns to your child’s physician or school personnel (CDC): http://cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/concerned-whattosay.html
Good places to get your child evaluated
- For a speech evaluation, or to receive a free stuttering screening, call the Center for Speech and Learning in New Haven, CT— #203-397-3224
- If concerned about developmental progress of your birth-to-age-3 child who might benefit from an evaluation, call the Child Development INFOLINE toll-free— #800-505-7000.
- If your child is 3 to 5 years old, call your local public school, even if he or she is not yet enrolled, and ask to have your child evaluated.
- Resources for early intervention in Connecticut: http://nichcy.org/state-organization-search-by-state
- The Yale Child Study Center Conducts evaluations. To make an appointment or for information on their clinical services, call Betty Litto, #203-785-3420, or email email@example.com
- Also, the Yale Department of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics: For information contact Gail Novey, #203-785-7251. For scheduling, #203-785-4081. Ask to be placed on the waiting list. They accept insurance.
- The Yale Toddler Developmental Disabilities Studies Clinic works with young children, but does not take insurance. Contact Evelyn, #203-764-5933.
The best way to alleviate concerns about a speech or learning delay is to see a speech pathologist
- Center for Speech and Learning, LLC, 801 Edgewood Avenue in New Haven. #203-397-3224 Email: info@CenterForSpeechAndLearning.com . Blue Cross-Blue Shield insurance accepted.
- For additional listings of speech pathologists: http://www.asha.org/proserv/
- Southern Connecticut State University provides developmental evaluations for which they require a modest fee. They do not accept insurance. Southern Connecticut State University, Department of Communication Disorders, Center for Communication Disorders, Davis Hall Room 012, 501 Crescent Street, New Haven. #203-392-5955. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org